Sunday, September 11, 2011

so what's a single girl with a cold to do on a saturday night? go to barnes & noble



and buy a new tarot deck from an artist she saw at dragon*con. her watercolor is incredible. and if you know anything about watercolor, i think you may agree with me when i say watercolor is much more impressive than oil or acrylic, since if you fuck up watercolor, you can't just paint over it. it's done. it requires a lot of patience, a lot of waiting around for things to dry before you can continue, a lot of failing and learning from your mistakes.


basically, jesus, buddha, and ghandi - along with mother theresa - probably do watercolor in heaven. because they're all just that bad-ass.

but i'm moving away from the subject. whoops.

it was the only box of it they had at b&n. i'd thought of buying it at d*con but hadn't wanted to actually buy it. but it was the only one.

it was a sign.

that looked like this:


and it comes with a book. which is awesome, since the pictures on the cards are really artsy-fartsy. and yes, i really did just use that.
the book has some thickness to it, much more than the flimsy pamphlet the other deck came with. this paperback looks like it has some actual info in it, which is great since the depictions on the cards are so not what i'm used to... oh look, and the book is published by llewellyn, which is pretty much the god of new age/pagan publishing. oops, so's the whole damn deck. figures. in "that" section of the bookstore, they're actually pretty big players.

but the best part!? the cards are super flexible, which means shuffling should be a bit less awkward compared to the tarot of the dead pack. they're smaller, which is great since my hands are the size of your average nine year old boy's, and now i can no longer tell which position a card will be in when i flip it. let's review this:

one of these cards is reversed, while the other isn't. can you tell which is which?
didn't fucking think so, y'all.

the one on the left. maybe.


however, with ye olde decke, you can totally tell.
i'll give you a hint: blue-up in the upper left corner means the card will be reversed.

i always hated knowing, because if you're having a bad day and want to hear something in particular, you might skip said card. knowing will make you much more biased, in my opinion. now, i'll have no damn clue. so hopefully less bias.


my only complaint: it doesn't come with a damn bag. a lot of times they come with even some cheap, flimsy thing to keep it in. but not this one! fortunately, i have one bag that'll work for now, but if i didn't i'd be keeping this awkwardly-shaped box around for a while, and that's a huge pain in the ass.

so there you have it, guys. you have all witnessed the beginning of the tarot reader's end for me: collecting tarot packs. this brings me up to 2.5.

my first one, my original one, i lost #14 for, temperance. how the hell do you lose a tarot card, tear the room apart for what turned out to be move-out fail, and still never ever find it? beats the hell out of me.

6 comments:

  1. That makes sense. Just like with playing cards. If there are marks and bends or pattern shifts you can tell the cards...and I suppose with tarot (which we know from you is made up ;) ) that would defeat the purpose of the spread.

    Sorry you wasted money. Is there a specialty store for decks that comes out better or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, I didn't actually waste it; I'm just an impulse buyer. And a shop therapist.

    But this deck was definitely an impulse buy.

    I don't know what you mean by your question. There are "New Age" shops scattered around, but the New Age movement is MUCH bigger than tarot cards. In many ways, a tarot card is a tarot card is a tarot card. They're all made from roughly the same thing, all have roughly the same imagery (to an extent), and all roughly the same meanings. It's just more like, you already have ONE pack, do you really need another?

    It'd be like, for you, buying ANOTHER gun. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. (and yes, i know different guns have different perks about them. i just mean the sentiment of the thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those cards are gorgeous!

    I heard that it was "traditional -as in, "good/better luck"- to have your first tarot deck be a gift from someone else. If so, would it be bad luck to buy your own? Because I'd really like to get into tarot wihout jinxing myself.

    Hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard that. I've always bought my own. I mean, I know what I like, and I want what I like, but I don't want to sound like a bitch and tell someone what I want when I get just go and get it myself.

    If you're worried about it, you can have a complete pack i have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, just wondering. And, yeah I was worrying about sounding bitchy about the deck I wanted, or just asking for one.

    ReplyDelete